martes, 4 de abril de 2017

Women in Localization – Silicon Valley Chapter Mentoring Meeting

Last Thursday I was happy to attend the Women in Localization – Silicon Valley Chapter Mentoring Meeting.

It was incredible.

It took place at Netflix, in Los Gatos, and they provided dinner, even for me! I am vegan and celiac (sugar intolerant too), and therefore my options are usually pretty scarce. I went with two classmates: Erérndira Saenz, the goddess of networking, and Emma Aguilar, the best TLM computer savvy technician in the world, she has saved my computer and devices, along with my life, more than once. I would advise everyone to keep an eye on them because they are really good, and I’m sure they will make it big. They are not only amazing professionals but also amazing human beings with high standards and ethics, something we don’t find that easily lately.

The event was excellent, the mentors were amazing and have incredible careers: Siobhan Hanna (Lionbridge), Katell Jentreau (Netflix), Katja Zuske (eBay), Teresa Marshall (Salesforce), Magdalena Enea (HighTech Passport), Manuela Furtado (Alpha US), Mimi Hills (VMware), Monique Nguyen (Welocalize), Yasmin Vanya (PlayStation), and Pia Bresnan (Moravia).

They were all inspiring. I attended the speed mentoring sessions given by Katell Jentreau (Netflix), Katja Zuske (eBay), Yasmin Vanya (PlayStation), and Mimi Hills (VMware). They all provided excellent points of view on the profession and on career development, as well as interesting insights on what mentoring is and what it is not.

If I had to choose one thing, it would be Katja Zuske’s “don’t rush it, enjoy every step of your way” and Siobhan Hanna’s “we have to support each other.” Oops, that was two, having to choose is always hard.

A mentor is someone who is there to guide you on your way up. Someone who might not be working in your same area, but that is able to provide valuable insight so you can improve in certain areas or acquire/ develop new skills. Someone who does not provide straight answers but helps you get on the right track. Someone who supports you.

While I was there, I realized I already have someone like that in my life. She was my boss for a few years and said “go for it” with a big smile when I said I was considering going to MIIS. Someone who has been there through all my ups and downs at MIIS and had full trust whatever I’d do would be the right option. This woman runs an amazing LSP called Tick Translations (if you haven’t heard of it, here’s some help http://www.ticktranslations.com/en/) that has just gotten a not so little sister, Cultural Connections (http://www.ticktranslations.com/CulturalConnections/). I have no words to express my immense respect and admiration, as well as how grateful I am, so I hope this will make it: Thank you, Silvia.

So, what's your take on mentoring?



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario